The first Clatsop County Fair was held with the annual Astoria Regatta in 1905 at the Hedrick Theater at 12th and Duane in downtown Astoria. In 1911, the county granges brought the fair to Gearhart Park. By 1920, the fair had returned to downtown Astoria. The fair was held at the Port of Astoria from 1921 until 1941, when the fairgrounds opened at 20th and Marine at the east end of Astoria. This site was used through the 1994 season.
In 1994, Clatsop County turned over the old John Jacob Astor Experiment Station (more recently used as the Clatsop Community College farm) to the Fair Board for the new home. County voters approved a $1.995 million bond measure and, with revenue from the sale of the old site, for improvements. However, the county used accrued timber revenues to pay off bonds, and taxpayers never had to pay the bond measure.
Since opening in August 1995 at our present location, the fairgrounds have been in constant use. Events have included concerts by Willie Nelson and Tracy Lawrence, monster trucks, mud bogs, car shows, swap meets, circuses, go-kart races, wedding receptions, bazaars, banquets, meeting, indoor rodeos and many large RV rallies.